We all want to grow up to be successful. But life has a way of slowing us down or hindering us in ways that you may not even notice until one day you just kind of look around and wonder why you are not getting more done. Why you are not making more money. Why your entrepreneurial journey is moving along at a snails pace.
In the back of your mind, there is this niggling feeling that just won’t stop and you feel like you can’t grasp what your brain knows and is trying to share.
Instead of worrying about it and trying to diagnose your general sense of malaise, start doing. Sitting around thinking about what may or may not be hindering you is a lot less fruitful than taking steps. Procrastination is rarely helpful but when it becomes a lifestyle you are creating harmful habits that will not serve you well.
- You Can’t Hit a Target You Can’t See. Once you know what it is that you want to accomplish, plan for it. Devise a step-by-step plan on how to achieve your goal or dream. Identifying the outcome in your minds eye will allow you to identify where to start and move you towards the necessary action steps. We all know about planning for that dream vacation and how much time, thought and planning goes into creating the perfect experience in your minds eye. Do more of that! That kind of meticulous thoughtful planning should not be reserved for holiday planning.
- Clear Your Mind. I am a big believer in taking time to practice what I call my “powering up” routine each morning. This is the time before the rest of the world wakes up and demands my attention. This is when, among other things, I take 10 to 15 minutes to mind dump my thoughts onto paper. I write down everything that comes into my mind, or my stream of consciousness, and then sort through it after it has had time to sit for a while. This practice not only clears my mind, but it also captures any random ideas that may bear fruit later on.
- Make a List. I recently interviewed internet marketer Robert Plank on my podcast Your Partner In Success and he does just 4 important things a day. This was an excellent interview and we talked about marketing and productivity, including mindset. I had several “ah ha”! moments.
- Take Small Steady Steps. It is much easier to take action when you are not immediately overwhelmed by the massive to-do list you have set yourself. There will always be new things to learn and do. In fact, life is pretty much one big educational experience. The good news is that you are in charge and have a stronger feeling for what you can look for that is not working for you and take steps to fix it, starting now.
- Don’t Beat Yourself Up! Honor the good in your life and march boldly towards each new day.With each day, a new cycle begins. Each month marches toward a new season. Each season toward a new year. And they all bring changes. It is time for you to be in charge of those changes.